*Artwork by Ethar Hamid
Thank you for your continued support.
On Tuesday, 29 November 2016 the Rachel Corrie Foundation for Peace & Justice (RCF) will observe the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People and #GivingTuesday.
All funds raised by RCF on this day will go towards RCF Gaza Projects, a collection of projects that emphasize solidarity and commitment to Palestinian youth. Examples of these efforts include the Gaza Sports Initiative, Birzeit University Women’s Scholarship Program, and Homeland Moments, a Children’s Art Camp. Join and share us via Facebook here.
Help support our Gaza Projects and give to RCF on Tuesday, 29 November 2016!
1. What is #GivingTuesday?
#GivingTuesday is more than a day. It is a movement created with the vision that the Tuesday after Thanksgiving (U.S.) would be an online, global day dedicated to giving back to start the holiday season.
On Tuesday, November 29, 2016, charities, families, businesses, community centers, and students around the world will come together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give.
2. What is the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People?
The International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People is an official United Nations observance established in 1977. The International Day of Solidarity has traditionally provided an opportunity for the international community to focus its attention on the fact that the question of Palestine remains unresolved and that the Palestinian people are yet to attain their inalienable rights as defined by the General Assembly, namely, the right to self-determination without external interference, the right to national independence and sovereignty, and the right to return to their homes and property from which they had been displaced.
3. How will RCF participate in #GivingTuesday?
The Rachel Corrie Foundation (RCF) will once again participate in #GivingTuesday online. All donations to RCF on 29 November 2016 #GivingTuesday will help support our numerous Gaza Projects, a fundamental cornerstone of our work. RCF Gaza Projects include the Rachel Corrie Gaza Sport Initiative (including the Ramadan Football Tournament and Tournament for Athletes with Disabilities), Birzeit University Women’s Scholarship Program, and Homeland Moments, a Children’s Art Camp – Operetta and Artistic and Cultural Project.
Go directly to our Network for Good Donations page to donate on November 29th!
4. Why did RCF choose Gaza Projects as the recipient of #GivingTuesday donations?
RCF chose Gaza Projects as the recipient for #GivingTuesday donations because we believe that a global day of giving has the power to connect and foster a sense of community among people across the world, particularly important in this 10th year of the illegal military siege on the Gaza Strip.
Donating to our Gaza Projects provides support for athletics as a space for community building and play, access to higher education and transformational leadership skills to future Palestinian leaders, and an outlet of artistic expression by children.
RCF hopes to sustain and grow Gaza Projects, and with YOUR HELP, we can make that hope a reality on Tuesday, 29 November 2016.
5. Great! But what if I miss #GivingTuesday and still want to help?
We hoped you would ask! There are SO MANY WAYS to support RCF and the people of Palestine. Here are a few:
- We are always accepting donations either on our Network for Good Donation page or at our office (203 East 4th Ave, Suite 402, Olympia, WA 98501). You can designate your donations for something specific, like Gaza Projects, or help out our general fund that enables our other projects, staff costs, rent, etc. We accept cash, checks, money orders and credit card donations!
- Join us at the 2016 RCF Annual Human Rights Celebration on Saturday, 10 December 2016 for an evening of food, drinks, music and a discussion of human rights issues by a member of our community. Our Giving Tree will have ornaments for purchase that help support RCF programming, including the aforementioned programs, as well as our General Fund that helps keep our doors open and the lights on! Purchase your tickets HERE.
- Shop local! Support RCF by purchasing one of our many high-quality and unique items created by independent artisans, artists and writers from the South Sound to Palestine. To purchase products from RCF, stop by our office or give us a call.
Products sold by RCF include beautiful handmade Palestinian embroidery, delicious Canaan Fair Trade food items, and of course, a wide range of books that support the overall Mission & Guiding Principles of RCF. Proceeds from product sales go directly to funding our many projects and supporting the overall sustainability of the organization.