Rachel Corrie wrote, “The international media and our government are not going to tell us that we are effective, important, justified in our work, courageous, intelligent, valuable. We have to do that for each other, and one way we can do that is by continuing our work, visibly.”
Let’s use the March 16th ten-year anniversary of Rachel in Gaza to make some noise and be visible in our support for an end to Israeli occupation!
Let’s remember together, act together, celebrate together – how we (like Rachel) have stood this past decade for justice, freedom, equality, and peace in the Middle East and beyond – and let’s think together about how to move ahead to make freedom for Palestine a reality.
Build your community for making change in Palestine, Israel, and the US with one of these ideas – or your own!
- Hold an event, an action, a house party, a meal to mark this 10-year anniversary. Remember Rachel. Reflect on the past 10 years – where we’ve been in this movement and where we need to go.
- Share Rachel’s story – why she was in Gaza, what happened, and where her story has led many of us.
- Gather friends to read Rachel’s words – her emails from Gaza, the play My Name is Rachel Corrie, passages from Let Me Stand Alone.
- Share a lesson with middle and high school students from the Palestine Teaching Trunk.
- Share the story of the Gaza family behind the wall whose home Rachel stood to protect.
- Take out a local ad. See an example here.
- Write a letter to the editor.
- Show a film.
- Gather a group to hear from any Gazans in your communities – about their life experiences and what it has meant to have people come in solidarity to Gaza.
- Remember and share info about Americans harmed by Israeli military actions and about Palestinian civilians who have died in nonviolent resistance.
- Inform others about home demolitions – those in the past and ones that continue.
- Connect the dots between our issues and others and build and strengthen our community for change!
- Support the Rachel Corrie Foundation and our Gaza projects!
Let us know your plans so we can share them at our website and inspire others! firstname.lastname@example.org And send your event photos which we will upload to the TUMBLR at our website.
Tools for your event:
This template can be used to advertise your planned events: link to poster
Place an ad in your newspaper : sample ad