We are so honored and amazed at the numerous requests we receive from people throughout the world wanting to honor Rachel’s stand on March 16th and beyond. Here are a just a few ways her memory lives on:
- Here in Olympia we are continuing our annual memorial tradition with a community gathering entitled ”Gaza On My Mind” with a potluck, speakers who have recently traveled to Gaza, music and dancing.
- In Washington D.C., Ray McGovern, retired CIA officer, will be holding a poster of Rachel Corrie and speaking at a before-the-White-House noon-time prayer and reflection on Friday the 16th.
- In Iowa, the Des Moines Catholic Worker has dedicated one of their homes the ‘Rachel Corrie House’ and is now actively working to start up and maintain a year-round presence in occupied Palestine by sending one community member every three months to the Middle East to volunteer with the nonviolent protective accompaniment organization that Rachel worked for, the International Solidarity Movement.
- In Wisconsin, the Madison Rafah Sister City Project is holding it’s annual Rachel Corrie Commemorative Benefit Dinner to fund a water filtration system for the Al-Shuka Girls Preparatory School in Rafah, Palestine.
- In Tokat and Sakarya, Turkey they are continuing the ‘International Day of Conscience” that began in Rachel’s memory with events and a demonstration, carrying posters of Rachel, against all occupations.
Please send us an e-mail at email@example.com to let us know what you are doing in Rachel’s memory.